Totnes 10k Fun Run 2018

Baker smashes own record to clinch Totnes 10K title

The 19th Totnes 10K on Sunday (5 August) attracted a capacity 600 entry and featured an M40 age-group record by race winner James Baker (Chichester Runners) and 164 young runners in the mile Fun Run. Race director Roger Easterbrook signalled the start of the Fun Run and a mere 5:16 later, Thomas Stoppard (Newton Abbot) was the first to experience the thrill of passing under the finish gantry in Borough Park.

Hannah Carr (South Devon) was the first girl to finish, one second inside six minutes.

Totnes 10K is described as being, “nearly all off-road, 70% flat, following the beautiful River Dart on grass and trails”. What is not detailed is that the remaining 30% is steeply up or down, including a flight of steps in the stunning Dartington Woods!

The nature of the course impedes progress in the early stages but that is no bad thing as energy needs to be saved for the mid-race undulations. James Baker was immediately to the fore and managed to trim 19 seconds from his own M40 record to win in 35:19. Arran Tocknell (37:13) led Torbay Tri to the men's team awards over host club Teignbridge Trotters and David Hampton (South Devon, 37:34) completed the podium.

Totnes 10K has always rewarded age-group runners with prizes in five year categories and M65 winner John Shapland (Bideford, 44:19) joined the overall winner in claiming a £25 masters' record bonus.

The women's race resulted in a clear win for Amy Jones (South West RR, 46:22) from junior course record holder Annabelle Evans (Teignbridge Trotters, 47:56) and Kate O'Brien (48:28). Plymouth Musketeers took the team prize from Torbay AC.

One of the most colourful and largest groups running were Storm Plymouth with over 80 entrants including the mid-point runner Andy Tapp (1:05:09) and final finisher Kerry Gorman (1:45:43).

Totnes 10k charity award 2018

Since Teignbridge Trotters have taken on the organisation, Totnes 10K has donated almost £20,000 to Totnes Caring. Roger Easterbrook and Ruth Johnson are pictured (above) presenting a cheque to Bob Alford from the local charity.

Full results are available via the runABC South race listings page.

Images courtesy Teignbridge Trotters

Previous & Next News