The only way is up for SA’s fifth virtual challenge
After four lockdown-friendly virtual challenges on the road, scottishathletics heads to the hills
The next instalment of scottishathletics' 4J Studios Virtual Challenges – a Hill Running Challenge – will be held from midnight on Friday 19 June to 23.59 on Monday 22 June. The goal is simple: to climb as many solo vertical metres as possible, using a slope, hill or steps.
The challenge can be done as hill reps or as a hilly run, but must be done in the runner’s local area. U13 and U15 runners have 15 minutes to complete their challenge; U17 to Masters’ runners have 30 minutes.
Runners keen to take part must register online by midnight on Thursday, 18 June, through the scottishathletics online club or individual portal. Results must be submitted by 12noon on Tuesday, 23 June.
As with the four others, this challenge has some important rules:
- Point-to-point runs are not allowed; all runs must start and finish at the same place
- The total ascent and descent of the run should be approximately the same
- To reflect the fact that most runners live in urban environments, the maximum ascent for one climb should be approximately 100m
Results will be calculated in the following categories:
- Total climb by individual age and gender: individual athletes in each age group and gender category logging the most metres in 30 minutes (U17 to Masters) and 15 minutes (U13 to U15)
- Total climb by four-person mixed team: four athletes from the same club (two male and two female, in the same age group) logging the most metres in two hours (U17 to Masters) or 60 minutes (U13–U15)
- Total climb by age categories U13, U15, U17, U20, Senior and Masters
- Total climb by all club members (both male and female) U17 to Masters
- Total climb by all club members (both male and female) U13 and U15
Entry to the 4J Studios Hill Running Virtual Challenge is free for scottishathletics affiliated members, but runners may choose to donate £2 to help cover the administration costs.
Image courtesy: scottishathletics